November brings a celebratory farewell to Watters Gallery

November brings a celebratory farewell to Watters Gallery, one of Sydney’s longest running commercial art galleries founded in 1964 by Frank Watters and Geoffrey Legge. After more than five decades presenting Australian and international artists to their audience, the directors have decided it’s time to close the doors for the very last time.

The gallery first opened in a terrace house in Liverpool Street Darlinghurst and later moved to the current location at 109 Riley Street, the building that was once the Harp of Erin Hotel, and ironically it traded for almost 50 years too. As well as bringing a diverse stable of artists and their work to the public, Watters Gallery was also a popular venue for dance, poetry recitals, experimental film, and music, with a series of jazz, modern and contemporary music concerts.

In the early days exhibiting artists included; Michael Allen Shaw, David Blackburn, Dick Watkins, Ann Thompson, John Peart, Garry Shead, Richard Larter, Margot Lewers, Robert Williams, Sydney Ball, Geoffrey Proud, Mike Brown, Geoff de Groen, John Armstrong, David Aspden, Vivienne Binns, Tim Burns, James Clifford and Aleksander Danko. More recently the gallery has featured work by artists such as Euan Mcleod, Rew Hanks, Fiona Fell, Patricia Moylan, Ruth Waller, Joe Frost, Ken Whisson, Annette Iggulden and many others. The final exhibition features ‘Figurative works from the estate’ by Tony Tuckson (1921-1973), from 4 to 24 November.

Watters Gallery will take its place in the history of Sydney’s thriving contemporary art scene and be remembered for championing its artists. Salute!

Geoffrey Legge and Frank Watters, 1974. Photograph: Gerrit Fokkema. Courtesy Watters Gallery, Sydney

wattersgallery.com